Getting Pregnant

Talking to Your Doctor

You can start the ball rolling by talking to your OB/Gyn or even Family Practitioner. Often, they can perform many of the initial lab tests and examinations for fertility right in their office.

Some insurance carriers require that patients start with their primary care doctor before a referral will be covered, if at all. Don't be surprised if your insurance plan does not cover the diagnosis or treatment of infertility, but don't take that possibility for granted without doing some thorough researching of your actual policy details.

If you are referred to an expert, it will most likely be to a Board certified specialist in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) or in some cases to a certified Andrologist (a urologist who works specifically in the field of male infertility issues.)

For many people, just the idea of being referred to a fertility specialist is intimidating. Keep this in mind - simply being referred does not, in and of itself, mean that your problem is too big to successfully treat.

In many cases, couples who see seek fertility assistance find out that all they needed was a little extra education and guidance to put the pieces of the puzzle together. For those who do require medical assistance, as many as 90 percent are treated with minimal intervention (Source: American Society for Reproductive Medicine, 2000) such as artificial insemination (AI).

Before you worry...

Remember - chances are greater that you and your partner will indeed eventually become pregnant. Your chances are increased when you're in the best health you can be. Take a little time to enjoy the journey, and follow recommended guidelines on when to consult an expert. Once that longed-for baby comes, your world will be a completely different place!